Saturday, December 8, 2007

Exploring Del.icio.us

I found this blog through Library 2.0, in Library Journal.com. I was intrigued by the blog and the resulting comments, as I am not a qualified librarian and very much respect the qualifications of my colleagues. I hum and ha when filling in forms requiring me to fill in 'occupation', but usually put librarian, silently paying tribute to those who have really earned the title.
I was intially drawn to read further after seeing there was a book titled Free for All: Oddballs, Geeks and Gangsta's in the Public Library. Now I think they mean the staff, but first of all I thought of the - um- interesting public who live in our library!
I have included the link to the page, but will leave the text here as well and after I see if the link works correctly, I may just keep the link.
Norman Oder
Is a Library Worker a Librarian? What If He's an Author? November 20, 2007USA Today just published an entertaining interview with Don Borchert, author of Free for All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library.
The headline: This librarian's life isn't by the book at 'All'. I liked the book (my LJ review) and found Borchert an engaging interviewee. However, I was careful not to call him a librarian, given that he never earned a library degree and works with those who have done so.That doesn't make a difference to the mainstream press--anyone who works in a library can be described as a librarian. I know we at LJ value paraprofessionals--we give an annual award--and I know that some people who run libraries, especially in smaller jurisdictions, don't have library degrees. (And some people who run very big libraries, like the Library of Congress, don't have them either.)So, does it make a difference? Should Borchert be called a 'librarian'? Does his lack of formal training deny him the title? Or does his charming book about library life earn him an honorary degree?
Posted by Norman Oder on November 20, 2007 Comments (4)
Industries: Managing Libraries, News & Features, Salaries
November 22, 2007In response to: Is a Library Worker a Librarian? What If He's an Author?Donb commented:
Although Ive worked in a library for more than a dozen years, I did not go to graduate school for an advanced degree, and have no desire to foist myself off as a true professional. As my daughter just graduated from UCLA in Library Science, I admire the dedication it takes to do this. I LOOK like a real librarian, but its just a trick of the light.
November 24, 2007In response to: Is a Library Worker a Librarian? What If He's an Author?Sean commented:
It sounds like he is an author who works in a library. What is his job title? That's probably what he should be called, in addition to an author. Seems simple.
November 25, 2007In response to: Is a Library Worker a Librarian? What If He's an Author?the zak commented:
There are library workers who are better at it than accredited certified degreed librarians. There are library workers who are better for library users/customers/consumers to go to than so called librarians. For example in Massachusetts at our Cambridge and Boston public libraries there are library workers whose enthusiasm and expertise surpasses the so called professionals. Our cities' public libraries should be recast as teaching libraries much like the medical centers that are teaching hospitals. Teaching libraries where academic work can be studied on site for credit.
November 26, 2007In response to: Is a Library Worker a Librarian? What If He's an Author?Wilda Williams commented:
Norman, what about the librarians of the past? Are they to be disqualified because library schools didn't exist in ancient Alexandria or medieval Europe? Is Casanova any less a librarian because he didn't hold an MLS? Frankly, I think Borchert, given his experience, is just as much a librarian as those with special degrees.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/blog/1010000101/post/640017664.html

Yay! the link worked :o). I am starting to get the hang of this Web 2.0, but I would like to add a general comment here. I would like to aim to finish this in time, but I would also like to understand more deeply than just rushing through exercises. I intend to go back once I have finished and take more time exploring all these options.
And sorry, but I haven't spent time in del.icio.us looking for ways to make research better but can already see where it would be useful. This is one of the areas I would like to spend more time in, and will do .... but not tonight. It is 10pm Sunday night after all, and I should watching Sunday Theatre !

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thats ok, the programme is designed so you can choose how much time you want to spend in each area.