Sunday, December 9, 2007

Wikis for libraries

Just time to blog about this before taking my bloggy brain to bed late on a Sunday night.

It is with caution that I write about wikis in libraries in general. I see great advantages but also potential for disasters. I mean any place that gives space to anyone to comment on anything and change others' input is alarming. I can see where a librarian's workload could be increased hugely and lots of time spent at a computer. I can see oddballs and eccentrics and bods with a lot of time to spare having a ball. Talkback radio is appalling a lot of the time (well I can't help but hear some when trapped in someone's car on the way to work - brrrr ) and it seems wiki - ing could be like that.
but - I do use Amazon to view synopses and reviews, so ...

For libraries? - good things: community information which the appropriate organizations would input into, sharing of conference news and papers, input from informed readers on books read (as with Amazon), and without thinking too much about how it would work - a fitch-like place for libraries such as ACL to share knowledge found on how to help each other when students flood the desk with that year's particular study eg calicivirus. But I might be being too simplistic with that comment; will look into that idea another time.
Time for that hottie and a wee read before midnight. Yawn ..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree that there is lots of potential for the wiki